Why Aquatic Therapy
After any type of injury or surgery, increasing mobility is a top priority. Our HydroWorx pool can help patients increase mobility in their joints while allowing them to work at their comfort level. Walking on the underwater treadmill can help reduce pain and eliminate the fear of falling or re-injury. The weightlessness of the water reduces stress on joints and muscles, which allows rehabilitation to begin much sooner than with traditional methods of physical therapy.
Our state-of-the-art pool is a HydroWorx 500 that features ergonomic stairs for easy accessibility. The variable-speed underwater treadmill is ideal for gait training and balance education. High-powered water jets add resistance to the water and can be used for massage of multiple joints. The various depths of the water within the pool allow for increased or decreased body weight loading.
Who Is an Ideal Candidate?
- Post-surgical patients
- Patients with degenerative conditions such as arthritis
- Competitive athletes returning to sport from injury
- Patients recovering from stroke or spinal cord injury
- Patients with orthopedic conditions such as low back pain, sprains/strains and joint discomfort
- Patients who have not had success with traditional land-based therapy
- Increases joint movement
- Relieves joint pain & discomfort
- Improves flexibility, mobility & strength
- Reduces impact on joints & bones
- Strengthens muscles & joints
- A primary care physician or orthopedist must write a prescription for Aquatic Therapy.
- During their first visit to AOC Therapy Center, the patient is evaluated by a Physical Therapist, who will create a plan of care that includes a home exercise program.
- Throughout all subsequent visits, the patient will be under the care of Zach McCain, PTA, who will oversee and execute the patient's plan of care through Aquatic Therapy